Thursday, December 15, 2011

Donna Weaver's Current Query

Our laptop died last night. I was really pissed, because I'd been planning on getting some revising in, which I don't often do at home, and then I couldn't. We all share one laptop. We have a desktop, but it's a ten year old iMac, and I don't write on it. Thank goodness it's only the laptop power supply. We were able to order a replacement from Amazon for very little money. The shipping is more than the product.

Anyway, enough about my computer woes. Today we have another query. Do you guys know Donna Weaver? Go visit her blog, and become a follower.

Now here's her query:

Dear [Agent's Name]:

Lyn needs something to distract her from the fact that her dead fiancé turned out to be a cheating scumbag. What she plans is a vacation diversion: an uncomplicated, unromantic cruise. What fate provides is Braedon.

Against the backdrop of the ship’s make-believe world, Lyn finds herself drawn to him. His interest in people, his gentle humor, his love of music, and even his willingness to let her take him down during morning Karate practices. Unexpectedly, her long-dead emotions come alive again.

However, fear is an emotion, too.

Unaware of the sensitive waters he navigates, Braedon makes his move. It sucks when it happens to be on the anniversary she came to forget. He doesn’t ask for much, just a chance, and part of her wants to give it to him. But Lyn's painful memories are too powerful, and she won't trust another fairytale.

Later in the cruise the estranged pair finds themselves on the same snorkeling excursion. Awkward enough, but then paradise turns to piracy when their party is kidnapped. Lyn must overcome her fears to fight alongside the man she rejected, first for their freedom and then their survival while lost at sea.

And fate isn’t finished yet.

A CHANGE OF PLANS is a clean adventure romance at 96,000 words. I currently serve on the Board of the League of Utah Writers’ Utah Valley Chapter and am the Social Director for the iWriteNetwork. [Here is where I’d put the personalized information about the specific agent.]

That's it.

Please say hi to Donna, and thank her for her courage, but keep your feedback for tomorrow. Thanks!

23 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Hi, Donna! Glad to see you took the leap! I'll be back tomorrow!

Suzie F. said...

Hello, my friend! I know how hard you've been working on this and I'm sure you'll get some terrific feedback on your query. This is a huge step and I'm proud of you :)

Can't wait for Matt's critique tomorrow.

on a sidenote: Matt, I know all about computer woes. I have a sick computer, too. We've been battling weird viruses lately. Not. fun.

Elena Solodow said...

Sounds very cool, Donna. Looking forward to Matt's comments!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing your query Donna. Looking forward to Matt's critique tomorrow.

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about the computer issues, Matt. I hate when things get in the way of writing plans!

And--welcome, Donna! You'll get some great feedback here!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know Donna very well!
Sucks about the computer. Maybe Santa will bring you a new desktop. (Ten years old? I'm surprised it still works!)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, Matt, that's one of the things that really scares me is how I do on rely upon my computer. I got a trojan last year that my virus program didn't catch and ended up. I got it cleaned up and then the dang thing died. I'm so glad I had most of the important stuff backed up. But it was still a pain to get all my specific software set up--again. And things like your downloaded music only allow it on so many computers--like a cat with nine lives.

Pat Hatt said...

Nice share. And one laptop for everybody, wow that must take some maneuvering haha.

Anonymous said...

Oh no don't you just hate it when your computer throws a wobbler!! Bless you matt, hope you get a new one from Santa :)
Welcome Donna.x

Bryan Russell said...

Yo ho ho.

Okay, seriously, that seems like a pretty interesting story.

Angela Cothran said...

I love Donna :) She IS brave.

Anonymous said...

Wow Donna! That's an even better version. Can't wait to see the critique.

Melanie

Lost_without_a_Map said...

I have a hammer that works wonders on disobedient computers...at least the salesmen at BestBuys thinks so. =/

Nancy Thompson said...

Sure, I know Donna and her blog! Yay, Donna, for finding the courage to post your query! I can promise you this, Matt will help whip your query into the best shape possible. I'll be back tomorrow to comment on the query itself.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Yay Donna! Glad you took the plunge. You'll be glad you did.

And sorry about your computer woes, Matt.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I'll see you tomorrow.

Johanna Garth said...

Hi Donna. Great to read your query and I'll look forward to reading what Matt (and everyone else) has to say about it tomorrow.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great story!

Hope you get that cord quickly! :)

Kristen Pelfrey said...

Hi Donna! Thanks for the chance to peek into the process!

farawayeyes said...

Oh Donna,Oh Donna, I am so proud of you. You did it. Can't wait until tomorrow. I'm interested already.

BTW - I worked the Bazaar at the Cruise Ship dock today for a friend. I'll email you some pictures. It was a regular Cruzan party.

Matt -Sorry to hear about the computer. That is one big bummer. My lap top is held together with duct tape and bailing wire right now. Some days my life is too.

Lydia Kang said...

Looks like a great story. Looking forward to seeing what Matthew has to say. It's always good stuff!

Sarah Ahiers said...

my laptop is in the shop too, with a virus. Geeksquad just called and said they have to do a factory settings reset, which means i had to pay $100 for a backup of my itunes and lose all my progress on stronghold crusader. Again. Sigh. I just want it back so i can check facebook and pinterest and my gmail outside of my work computer

Ruby Claire said...

Donna! i knew you would give surprise with new ideas...


Query forms



sd